Twitter permanently banned the account of the James O’Keefe-founded undercover journalist endeavor Project Veritas on Thursday for apparently sharing “private information” without consent, according to the Daily Wire.
O’Keefe later noted in a video that Twitter highlighted the apparently rule-violating post from Project Veritas as a video showing the Facebook Vice President of Integrity Guy Rosen being questioned outside his home.
“The tweet in question arose when asking for comment from Facebook’s VP of Integrity about censorship,” the group said from their Telegram channel. “Project Veritas is appealing this decision, as no privacy was violated.”
“Twitter also confirmed that O’Keefe’s personal account had been locked temporarily for violating the same policy, and that O’Keefe would be required to remove the violative content before regaining permission to tweet,” CNN Business reported Thursday. “In an emailed statement to CNN Business, O’Keefe again said it was ‘false’ that the video contained private information and claimed Twitter told the group it could have its account reinstated if it deleted the tweet containing the video.”
CNN Business followed up with Twitter about O’Keefe’s claim that he was told the account could possibly be reinstated. The Big Tech platform said they had “mistakenly communicated to Project Veritas that there would be a way to restore its account and confirmed that the group’s suspension was permanent and final.”
In a video posted from Project Veritas Action, O’Keefe argued that the group’s post is in line with mainstream journalistic standards, noting that he has appealed Twitter’s decision and has not deleted the tweet in question.
In the video that was released by Project Veritas and flagged by Twitter, Rosen stated that the social media platform “freezes” comment sections on posts they believe include hate speech, according to The Post Millennial.
“We have a system that is able to freeze commenting on threads in cases where our systems are detecting that there may be a thread that has hate speech or violence,” Rosen said. “These are all things we’ve built over the past three-four years as part of our investments into the integrity space, our efforts to protect the election.”
Twitter crackdowns have been widespread since the permanent banning of President Donald Trump on January 8.
“After close review of recent Tweets from the @realDonaldTrump account and the context around them — specifically how they are being received and interpreted on and off Twitter — we have permanently suspended the account due to the risk of further incitement of violence,” Twitter announced at the time, The Daily Wire reported.
“In the context of horrific events this week, we made it clear on Wednesday that additional violations of the Twitter Rules would potentially result in this very course of action. Our public interest framework exists to enable the public to hear from elected officials and world leaders directly. It is built on a principle that the people have a right to hold power to account in the open.”
“However, we made it clear going back years that these accounts are not above our rules entirely and cannot use Twitter to incite violence, among other things,” the statement from Twitter added. “We will continue to be transparent around our policies and their enforcement.”